Ridley Scott’s “Robin Hood” nabs September DVD release date
By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: Ridley Scott’s “Robin Hood,” which cast “Gladiator” star Russell Crowe in the leading role, will arrive on DVD and Blu-ray on Sept. 21, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.
The releases will feature the theatrical film, as well as a never-before-seen unrated director’s cut of the movie. The film and its unrated version will also be available day and date for digital download and video on demand.
This is great news, as “Robin Hood” is one of the few films released this summer that I’m eager to revisit. Scott’s vision was criticized in certain circles for choosing to focus on Robin’s origins, instead of rehashing the myth we’ve heard countless times before. But that approach worked quite well for me, and I’m anxious to find out if the film holds up on a repeat viewing.
Per Universal’s press release, the 3-disc “Robin Hood” Blu-ray Combo Pack will feature a Blu-ray and DVD copy of the theatrical and director’s cut film, as well as a digital copy of the director’s cut that can be viewed on an array of electronic and portable devices anytime, anywhere. Additionally, both the Blu-ray Combo Pack and the 2-Disc Special Edition will feature deleted scenes and filmmaker commentary, plus an extensive look at the making of Robin Hood that includes behind-the-scenes interviews with cast and crew. The Blu-ray release also exclusively features an interactive “Director’s Notebook,” which seamlessly takes fans inside the making of the specific scenes of the film, from production design to special effects.
A full breakdown follows:
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVELY ON BLU-RAY:
• DIRECTOR’S NOTEBOOK — A seamless multimedia experience focusing on the director’s vision gives viewers a peek inside Oscar® nominee Ridley Scott’s unique filmmaking process. Incorporating behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Scott and his trusted inner circle of collaborators, this feature launches at critical moments throughout the film to illuminate the task of mounting a vast production like Robin Hood.
• THE ART OF NOTTINGHAM — A special look at the portfolio of designs generated for the film, including video introductions by key department heads such as production designer Arthur Max and costume designer Janty Yates. Galleries of concept art, costume designs, storyboards and other imagery are featured.
• BD-LIVE™ — Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more.
o MY SCENES — Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie.
• pocket BLU™ app — Experience Blu-ray in an exciting new way with the pocket BLU™ app for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Blackberry, Android, PC and Macintosh. With this app, you can work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player to activate advanced features such as:
o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease as well as activate a timeline to skip to any point in the movie with the slide of a finger.
o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.
o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o VIRTUAL Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.
• uHEAR — Always catch every word with uHear! This innovative feature instantly skips back a few seconds on your Blu-ray™ disc and turns on the subtitles for the section you couldn’t hear!
• INTERACTIVE TICKER: Get the latest information about Universal’s theatrical and Blu-ray™ releases. Plus, get updates about upcoming BD-Live events, awards and TV shows on NBC
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAY™ AND 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD:
• DELETED SCENES WITH INTRODUCTION & COMMENTARY BY EDITOR PIETRO SCALIA
• RISE AND RISE AGAIN: MAKING RIDLEY SCOTT’S ROBIN HOOD
o BALLAD, LEGEND & MYTH: PRE-PRODUCTION — See how the filmmakers and actors, including Ridley Scott, Brian Grazer and Russell Crowe, tackled the challenge of breathing new life into the longest surviving character in the English language, Robin Hood.
o THE MORE THE MERRIER: PRODUCTION — A stellar cast led by Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett descended onEngland to shoot this massive epic under the direction of Ridley Scott. With an unparalleled passion for detail, Scott oversees all of the production design, costuming, weaponry and action sequences in the film.
o NO QUARTER GIVEN: POST PRODUCTION — Sifting through a million feet of shot film, Ridley Scott and editor Pietro Scalia perfect the screen story and work with the post-production team to add layers of sound design, visual effects and Marc Streitenfeld’s beautiful score.
• DIGITAL COPY OF THE UNRATED DIRECTOR’S CUT VERSION OF THE FILM