“TRON: Legacy” launches 10-week publicity push with virtual goodies
By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: With 10 weeks to go before Disney revisits Flynn’s Arcade as part of “TRON: Legacy,” the studio has announced a unique, lengthy publicity push aimed at rewarding film fans and drumming up awareness for this high-tech sequel.
In “TRON: Legacy,” directed by Joseph Kosinski, young Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) stumbles on the game that swallowed up his father (Jeff Bridges), and ends up working with his dad to take down a ruthless villain and possibly unplug the virtual-reality program.
One component of the “TRON: Legacy” countdown will be “TRON Tuesdays,” when exclusive clips and content are added to select broadcast outlets. Be on the lookout for a new “TRON” clip today.
Here’s the Disney press release, laying out the rest of the “TRON” push:
Every week for the next 10 weeks marks a major milestone in the countdown as The Walt Disney Company rolls out exciting new TRON events, film content, products and announcements in preparation for the worldwide film launch, including:
• TRON Night: An IMAX 3D Experience, a special event on October 28, 2010, that will give audiences worldwide the first opportunity to step onto the Grid and into the cutting-edge, 3D world of Walt Disney Pictures’ high-tech adventure “TRON: Legacy,” during an exciting 20-plus-minute sneak peek of the highly anticipated film, sponsored by Asus Computer International.
Select IMAX 3D theaters nationwide and 3D & IMAX 3D theaters internationally will offer a special screening of thrilling, never-before-seen 3D footage.
“It’s exciting to offer fans an early, exclusive 3D preview of ‘TRON: Legacy’ in the ultimate of formats. We can’t wait for audiences around the world to experience the visually stunning and cutting-edge world that director Joe Kosinski has created,” said Sean Bailey, President of Production, Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment, said, “We are ecstatic that the Disney team and the ‘TRON: Legacy’ filmmakers elected to debut this amazing footage exclusively in our network of theaters. This first-look in IMAX 3D is the most immersive way to bring audiences into the world of ‘TRON: Legacy’ and kick-off the countdown to the film’s highly-anticipated launch.”
Tickets to the October 28th TRON Night events are free and will be distributed for US and Canadian screenings on a first-come, first-serve basis starting 10:00 a.m./PDT on the first “TRON Tuesday,” October 12, 2010. Information for U.S. and Canadian ticketing can be found on Facebook.com/TRON.
• Beginning today, fans have the opportunity to purchase tickets to select IMAX 3D
midnight screenings of “TRON: Legacy.” Tickets may be purchased at all participating IMAX locations and online at Disney.com/TRON.
• “TRON Tuesdays”— every Tuesday for the next 10 weeks, exclusive new video and film content, including behind-the-scenes exclusives, trailers and artwork, will be released around the world online and through select broadcast outlets. To get the latest on “TRON Tuesdays” and more, visit Disney.com and Facebook.com/TRON.
• “10-10-10” also marks the launch of Disney.com’s TRON: Get on the Grid Sweepstakes, featuring hundreds of prizes including a Grand Prize Trip for four to experience ElecTRONica, the new street celebration at Disney California Adventure™ Park. Details and official entry rules are available at Disney.com/TRONsweeps.
ADDITIONAL HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 10-WEEK COUNTDOWN:
• Walt Disney Records will release the “TRON: Legacy” official motion picture soundtrack, scored by the French electronic music duo Daft Punk, on Dec. 7.
• In addition to new merchandise arriving to stores this month, Disney Consumer Products will debut exciting, new “TRON: Legacy” products and promotions, including a special line for women, a one-of-a-kind immersive retail destination for products and a unique gadget line for music and gaming fans.
• On Dec. 7, Disney Interactive Studios will launch the next-gen video game “TRON: Evolution” for all major home video game consoles, Windows PC and handheld platforms.
• Disney Parks is celebrating “TRON: Legacy” with ElecTRONica, a nighttime street event at Disney California Adventure™ Park, featuring a dynamic visual- and music-based experience, a re-creation of Flynn’s Arcade and an opportunity to see a special 3D preview of “TRON: Legacy.” ElecTRONica runs from now until April 2011 every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night and nightly through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday periods.
Information on all TRON activities can be found at Disney.com/TRON.
“Tron: Legacy” opens everywhere on Dec. 17.
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.