‘Jackass 3D’ no donkey at the box office, fires up $50 million
HollywoodNews.com: MTV/Paramount’s “Jackass 3D” overperformed at the weekend box office, earning $50 million. The studio employed a number of marketing maneuvers in resurrecting the franchise’s profile among its devoted twentysomething fanbase, i.e. a Comic-con launch as well as 10th anniversary specials on MTV.
Paramount, largely due to the film’s 3D format, is expecting to rake in a $100 million gross when all is said and done on the stunt film.
The weekend’s second opener, Summit Entertainment’s “Red” based on the DC comic about a group of rogue, retired C.I.A. agents pulled in $22.5 million. That’s an excellent gross for a cult-comic book adaptation, many of which failed this year at the box office, i.e. “Kick-Ass,” “Jonah Hex” and “Losers.” Summit hit a variety of media outlets in promoting the film, which was largely geared at adults given its cast: Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich.
Clint Eastwood’s Matt Damon supernatural film “Hereafter” bowed in six venues in New York, LA and Toronto raking in $231,000 and a $38,426 screen average. Film goes wide next weekend. Warner Bros. in recent years typically bows Eastwood’s award season titles in limited cities before taking them wide.
Fox Searchlight’s Sam Rockwell-Hilary Swank drama “Conviction” did less than “Hereafter” in 11 theaters, grossing $110,000 for a per site of $10,000.
A number of award season holdovers, i.e. “The Town,” “The Social Network” and “The Secretariat” kept alive at the box office with declines that registered under 40%.
The top 10 films:
1. Jackass 3D (Paramount,1st weekend): $50 million at 3,081 theaters. $16,228 theater average.
2.Red (Summit, 1st weekend): $22.5 million in its first weekend at 3,255 theaters. $6,912 theater average.
3. The Social Network (Sony, 3rd weekend): $11 million, -29% at 2,868 theaters. $3,835 theater average. Domestic total: $63.1 million.
4. Secretariat (Disney, 2nd weekend):$9.5 million -25% at 3,072 theaters. $3,093 theater average. Domestic total: $27.5 million.
5. Life As We Know It (Warner Bros., 2nd weekend): $9.2 million -37% at 3,150 theaters. $2,921 theater average. Domestic total: $28.9 million.
6. Legend of the Guardians (Warner Bros., 4th weekend): $4.2 million -39% at 2,502 theaters. $1,693 theater average. Domestic total: $46 million.
7. The Town (Warner Bros., 5th weekend): $4 million -37% at 2,368 theaters. $1,706 theater average. Domestic total: $80.6 million.
8. My Soul to Take (Rogue Picture-Universal, 2nd weekend):$3.2 million -54% at 2,529 theaters. $1,250 theater average. Domestic total: $11.9 million.
9. Easy A (Sony-Screen Gems, 5th weekend): $2.7 million -38% at 2,314 theaters. $1,145 theater average. Domestic total: $52.3 million.
10. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (Fox,4th weekend): $2.4 million -49% at 2,045 theaters. $1,149 theater average. Domestic total: $47.9 million.
Photo credit: Paramount
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.