October 28, 2016
        Ten Contenders will compete for Best Documentary Short Subject                "The Circle" and "The Lost City of Z": Which potential 2016 contenders got bumped to 2017?                Natalie Portman, Janelle Monáe, Matthew McConaughey, Bryce Dallas Howard, Edgar Ramirez, Stacy Keach at Hollywood Film Awards                Viola Davis will be campaigned in Best Supporting Actress for "Fences"                Mel Gibson to be Honored with the Hollywood Director Award at the 20th Annual Hollywood Film Awards                Michael Moore drops a surprise new film with "Michael Moore in TrumpLand"                Hollywood Contenders: New Oscar Predictions for October                Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Naomie Harris, Lily Collins get Honors at 20th Annual Hollywood Film Awards                "Manchester by the Sea" leads the Gotham Award nominations                Tom Ford, Marc Platt and Kenneth Lonergan to be Honored at 20th Annual Hollywood Film Awards                Tom Cruise is in his action hero comfort zone with "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back"                "Moonlight" could be A24's big Oscar horse this year                Ewan McGregor steps behind the camera with "American Pastoral"                Hollywood Contenders: A second crack at Golden Globe predictions for 2016                "The Accountant" seeks to help give Ben Affleck another blockbuster        

Adrien Brody sues to block release of Dario Argento film

By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: Horror junkies impatiently await the next Dario Argento film the way a smoker craves their next cigarette. But if Adrien Brody has his way, it will be a long time before Argento’s latest, “Giallo,” sees the light of day.

“Giallo,” which was filmed in 2008, was released on DVD. But Brody, who stars in the film as an Italian detective tracking a kidnapped woman, has filed papers in court hoping to stop the film’s continued availability because the actor says producers violated his “pay or play” deal and lied to him about funding so he would stay on and finish filming the movie. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Brody seeks $3 million in damages, and is “attempting to stop the film’s release.”

The story says Brody was prepared to walk off the set a few years back when he learned funding had fallen through for the film. Producers allegedly made up a story saying financing had been secured, and Brody was approached to sign a new agreement that would allow him to continue working but granted him “absolute right to withhold consent to the use of his likeness” if he wasn’t eventually paid in full for his work.

Guess what happened?

So it goes to court. And Argento’s “Giallo” receives plenty of free publicity. Not $3 million worth of PR, but enough to ensure that curious onlookers will now want to check the film out once Brody is paid and the film is released. It’s an ugly way to get there, but it sounds like it will be a win for both sides in the long run.

Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.

Hollywood News, Hollywood Awards, Awards, Movies, News, Award News, Breaking News, Entertainment News, Movie News, Music News

Photo courtesy of PRPhotos.com.

About Sean O'Connell

Sean O'Connell is a nationally recognized film critic. His reviews have been published in print ('The Washington Post,' 'USA Today') and online (AMC FilmCritic.com, MSN's Citysearch) since 1996. He's a weekly contributor to several national radio programs. He is a longstanding member of the Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA), the Online Film Critics Society (OFCS), and the Southeastern Film Critics View all articles by Sean O'Connell Association (SEFCA).

Follow us

Breaking Hollywood News   


Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.