“Hobbit” adds two more actors, yet Sir Ian McKellen remains unsigned


By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: Cast members continue to be added to Peter Jackson’s “Hobbit” production while one key player has yet to enter into a contract.

Before we get to the absentee star, let’s touch on those we know will be part of “The Hobbit” when it reaches theaters in 2012. Jackson announced via TheOneRing.net that James Nesbitt and Adam Brown have joined the cast as dwarves Bofur and Ori, respectively.

“James’s charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles,” Jackson said.

As for Brown, a relative newcomer, the director stated, “Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence. I look forward to seeing him bring Ori to life.”

Nesbitt and Brown join previously announced cast member Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Aidan Turner, Rob Kazinsky Stephen Hunter, and Peter Hambleton.

Can you tell me who is missing from that list? If you guessed Sir Ian McKellen, give yourself a gold star.

In a story about the recent casting notes, the Hollywood Reporter stated that McKellen – who played Gandalf in all three of Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” films and is expected to play a major part in the two “Hobbit” adventures – recently told Broadway World that he has yet to sign a contract to return to the fantasy franchise.

“I am not under contract, no,” McKellen said in the interview. “I’m not going to say any more than that because it might complicate things! So, I would say – at the moment – no, I am not under contract.”

Expect that to be resolved before “Hobbit” begins shooting, though. Would the films be the same if they had to recast Gandalf? Let us know.

Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.

Hollywood News, Hollywood Awards, Awards, Movies, News, Award News, Breaking News, Entertainment News, Movie News, Music News

About Sean O'Connell

Sean O'Connell is a nationally recognized film critic. His reviews have been published in print ('The Washington Post,' 'USA Today') and online (AMC FilmCritic.com, MSN's Citysearch) since 1996. He's a weekly contributor to several national radio programs. He is a longstanding member of the Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA), the Online Film Critics Society (OFCS), and the Southeastern Film Critics View all articles by Sean O'Connell Association (SEFCA).

Follow us

Breaking Hollywood News   


UPDATES BY EMAIL

One Comment

  • November 3, 2010 | Permalink |

    I don’t care if Ian wants $25 Million….Pay The Man!!!!…..uh, Wizard that is..

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.