Michelle Williams on ‘Blue Valentine’ NC-17 rating: ‘Keep the film like it is’
HollywoodNews.com: Michelle Williams doesn’t want to see any trims to her romantic drama “Blue Valentine.”
The actress recently criticized the MPAA for dishing out an NC-17 rating to the film which stars Ryan Gosling and focuses on a wedded couple going through some serious stuff.
“I’m happy for it to stay just like it is. Genuinely, I am,” Williams told Entertainment Weekly saying that the film shouldn’t be downgraded to an R-rated, “Movies get to have long lives and it’ll be judged and rejudged in 10 or 20 or 30 years, and I’ll be curious to see how it stands.
“It seems like such a condemnation. It feels like such a slap on the hand, like you’ve been a bad kid or something.”
The actress is currently filming in London “My Week With Marilyn.”
Meanwhile, Harvey Weinstein is assembling a team of lawyers, including Alan Friedman who was key in overturning the NC-17 rating for “Zack & Miri Make a Porno.”
“We’re going to have to overturn this,” Weinstein said. “This is serious stuff. This could really hurt the movie.”
The big deal about having a film slapped with an NC-17 rating is that it is akin to being awarded an X-rating: Certain exhibitors in the south can refuse to book “Blue Valentine,” thus crimping its grosses.
“[Director] Derek [Cianfrance] doesn’t want to do it, I don’t think there’s any reason to do it, and of course I’m worried that if we don’t get the R it could jeopardize the business of the movie and more importantly my actors … because they are eminently nominatable,” Weinstein responded about editing the film.
“Blue Valentine,” which has been on the festival circuit for the last year, opens in the U.S. on Dec. 31.
The Hollywood Reporter had the news.
Photo credit: Weinstein Co.
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.