James Franco blames Bruce Vilanch for Oscar disaster?
By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: It has been 23 days since the Academy Awards aired, and all 23 of those days have been spent trying to figure out what happened to listless Oscars host James Franco.
Yesterday, Franco – who has been silent about his oft-ridiculed hosting turn — took to Twitter to explain why he bombed in front of millions.
It was head writer Bruce Vilanch’s fault.
“Bruce, he let me down,” Franco Tweeted alongside a photo of the host and the writer.
Across the photo were hand-written comments, very much in the style of Perez Hilton. They said, “”James f***ed up the Oscars. Trust me, I know comedy,” coming out of Vilanch’s mouth. “I mean, come on, I write for Bette Midler!”
Classy. Even though it may be true. The writing was uninspired. But calling out yiur head writer on Twitter is just in poor taste.
Which is why, as The Wrap reports, Franco pulled the photo shortly after. But since too many of his followers had already screengrabbed the thing and continued to share, he put it back up.
The Tweet might have been in response to Vilanch’s interview with Vulture on Monday, where he blamed Franco for the disastrous telecast and chided him for skipping most of the rehearsals.
“I have to call James Franco and tell him the show’s over … He took a nap and woke up in class,” Vilanch said, adding that Franco had “a bunch of people who were writing for him.”
So Vilanch shouldn’t shoulder all of the blame?
As the blame game continues, nearly a month after the telecast, Academy president Tom Sherak put a cap on the cleanup by telling TheWrap that the hosts failed. But mainly, it was Franco’s fault.
“[Anne Hathaway] tried very hard, and he did it his own way,” Sherak said. “The light didn’t go on for him.”
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.