Alec Baldwin says end is near for “30 Rock”
By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: According to “30 Rock” co-star Alec Baldwin, the next season of NBC’s hit sitcom will be its last.
“I will tell you one thing,” Baldwin said to Vulture Tuesday evening. “And that is our show next year is our last year of the show.”
Really? As Vulture notes, Baldwin has repeatedly said that he’ll leave the program in 2012. This, however, is the first time that anyone attached to the show has mentioned that the show would fold if and when Baldwin left.
“Our contracts are expired [in 2012], and Tina is gonna have a big career directing films and writing. She’s going to be the next Elaine May. She’ll be great,” Baldwin continued. Fey’s reps, meanwhile, declined to comment.
What do you think? Is Baldwin talking out of line? Or did he just drop a big news bomb before anyone else from the show could reveal it?
He’s right that Fey could have a massive career if she were to close “30 Rock.” And part of me would much rather see the award-winning show go out on a high note than struggle to find a Baldwin replacement, much like “The Office” is trying to do now. Problems like that tend to distract from a program’s main goal, which is to be funny and entertaining. Right now, “30 Rock” is extremely funny and entertaining. One more season might be enough.
But don’t count your Baldwin predictions before they hatch. As Alan Sepinwall, respected TV critic for HitFix tweets, “I’d be more worried that Alec Baldwin says 30 Rock ends next yr if it came from more reliable source than Alec Baldwin.”
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.
Photo courtesy of PRPhotos.com.