Kathryn Bigelow’s Bin Laden drama could be pushed to 2013
By Sean O’Connell
Hollywoodnews.com: Kathryn Bigelow’s follow-up to her Oscar-winning “The Hurt Locker” was going to attract attention mo matter the topic. But when it was revealed that she was mounting a military drama about our nation’s hunt for Osama Bin Laden with “Hurt Locker” screenwriter Mark Boal, our interest level increased tenfold.
This morning, however, we’re hearing that Bigelow’s anticipated and as-yet-untitled Bin Laden drama could be held until late 2012, when our nation’s has moved past what’s shaping up to be a contentious presidential campaign.
The Hollywood Reporter notes that Sony, which had circled an Oct. 12, 2012 release date for the project is now looking at November, December or possibly 2013 as a window for Bigelow’s film. The director has not begin filming yet, and in fact had to make changes to her plot once Bin Laden actually was captured and killed by U.S. forces earlier this year.
The trade emphasizes that Bigelow’s film is not political. Bigelow, herself, says it isn’t focused on current president, Barrack Obama, but rather focuses on a years-ling hunt that spanned multiple administrations.
“Indeed, the dangerous work of finding the world’s most wanted man was carried out by individuals in the military and intelligence communities who put their lives at risk for the greater good without regard for political affiliation,” Bigelow said, putting several minds at ease. Now we just need to wait and see what she and Boal have planned. It sounds like our wait will be longer than we might have hoped.
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.