Ricky Gervais: Grade his Golden Globes hosting job – AWARDS ALLEY
By Sean O’Connell
hollywoodnews.com: What is the over/under or the number of minutes Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais spent on screen Sunday night? Ten minutes? 15?
Seriously, after the host worked through his opening monologue, he seemed to disappear for enormous chunks of time. Was that the HFPA’s approach? Is that how they compromised on the decision to bring Gervais back as a host: Give him a monologue, then limit his exposure to perhaps contain his controversial statements?
I even think Gervais’ monologue, while funny, was safer than the slash-and-burn technique he took last year. His finest jabs probably were aimed at the “evil” Colin Firth. Though the night’s best one-liner came from George Clooney and was aimed at Michael Fassbender’s … ahem, talent.
How do you think Gervais did? Give him a grade in the comments section below. And check out these montages of the “best” of Gervais from Sunday night’s Golden Globes ceremony.
Awards Alley brings you the best Oscar coverage. Click below to read our exclusive interviews with:
– Harvey Weinstein
– The cast of “The Artist.”
– Kenneth Branagh for “My Week With Marilyn.”
– Bennett Miller talks “Moneyball.”
– Sir Ben Kingsley and Chloe Grace Moretz for “Hugo.”
– Tilda Swinton for “We Need to Talk About Kevin.”
– David Fincher, Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara on “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”
– Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer for “The Help.”
– Tate Taylor for “The Help.”
– Woody Harrelson for “Rampart.”
– Gavin O’Connor for “Warrior.”
– Gary Oldman and Colin Firth for “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.”
– Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody for “Young Adult.”
– Steve McQueen for “Shame.”
– Glenn Close for “Albert Nobbs.”
– Seth Rogen and Will Reiser for “50/50.”
For complete Oscar and Film Festival coverage, visit our Awards Alley for the latest news items, reviews and interviews all season long.
Follow Hollywood News on Twitter for up-to-date news information.
Photo by PRPhotos.com.